What happened
New Westminster, British Columbia, is set to receive up to $1.04 million from the federal government for local efforts intended to prevent gun and gang violence before it begins.
Public Safety Canada announced the funding on July 27. The money will flow through the Building Safer Communities Fund, a program that supports municipalities and Indigenous communities in designing prevention and intervention work around their own local needs.
The announcement does not describe a single policing operation or enforcement campaign. Its stated focus is earlier in the chain: helping children, youth and young adults who are involved in gangs, or may be at risk of becoming involved, find safer opportunities and stronger community connections.
Why this matters
Community safety debates often concentrate on what happens after a serious crime. Prevention funding takes a different approach by trying to reduce the conditions that make gang recruitment and violence more likely.
Local organizations are usually closer to the young people they serve, but they still need dependable resources to offer mentoring, outreach, recreation, education and other supports. The federal fund is designed to let communities shape those responses instead of imposing one identical program everywhere.
New Westminster Mayor Patrick Johnstone said the investment would help strengthen prevention and intervention programs, build resilience and create pathways to opportunity. The practical test will be how the city turns the funding into accessible programs and whether the people most at risk are able to use them.
The wider program
The federal government renewed the Building Safer Communities Fund in March 2026 with $157.5 million over three years. That amount builds on $250 million announced in 2022 for municipalities and Indigenous communities selected according to factors including the nature and severity of crime in their jurisdictions.
Ottawa says the fund is one part of a broader public-safety strategy. It works alongside initiatives such as the Gun and Gang Violence Action Fund and the Youth Gang Prevention Fund. The government reports investing $1.5 billion over the past decade in law-enforcement and gang-prevention programs.
What to watch next
The announcement establishes the maximum federal contribution, but the local results will depend on program design, delivery partners and measurable follow-through. Important details to watch include which New Westminster organizations receive support, what services are offered, how participants are reached and how outcomes are assessed.
For residents, the most meaningful signs of progress will be sustained youth participation, stronger connections to school and work, and fewer pathways into violent activity. Funding can create room for that work, but its impact will be determined by what happens on the ground.
